Hamlet Davis bridge agraffes/ Reverse crown Steck

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:30:10 0000

Dale,
The reverse crowned board with downward bearing
is an interesting idea. If you installed the crowned
board into the piano without ending up with compression
preload then the downbearing should preload the board
in tension to approximately the same degree as it would
preload the board in compression in the more usual
arrangement.  As I see it the purpose of the crowning
and preload due to downbearing is to stiffen the soundboard
system without adding mass (as you could do say by
thickening the board or adding heavier ribs).  Where you
need this is at the top end, hence the substantial
downbearing at the top end, with almost none at the bottom
end of the scale.  It would seem to me that the stiffening
due to crowning or arching the board would be the same
whether it were crowned up or down.  It also seems to me
that it wouldn't matter whether the stiffening from the
downbearing preload were a tension or compression preload.
It also seems that you would get the added benefit that as
the board tended to take on any set from the preload with
the reverse crown arrangement the set would tend to give the
board more crown rather than flatten it out as in the more
usual arrangement.  What would concern me is that wood tends
to have much less tension strength than compression strength
across the grain and would therefore crack or take on
permanent set more readily with a tension preload than
with a compression
preload.  However, wood has much more tension strength than
compression strength along the grain and perhaps this would
help.  It's interesting that on the reverse crowned boards
you have seen you haven't noticed deterioration due to the
tension preload.

Phil
---
Phillip Ford