compression waves

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:00:38 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Might I point out to you two that the fact that the frequencies of the LM are
> >effected by the speaking length in no way necessarilly bears on whether or not
> >those frequencies can run along the whole of the string unneffected by
> >boundries ?
>
> This has typically scattered in fifteen different directions at once. I was
> trying to verify that the LM1 is, indeed, dependent on speaking length and
> not on the overall string length, as Stephen declared. I did that to my
> satisfaction, if to no one elses. Hopefully, that will narrow down the
> blast pattern some. Now someone, or everyone, can attempt to take some
> measurements and see what gets past the bridge.
>
> Ron N

All LM frequencies are determined by the speaking length.  Unless  just about
everything I have run into on the subject is somehow wrong or doesnt bear on
pianostrings, which given Conklins work seems highly unlikely. But this fact is
apparently independant of what level of amplitude of these gets past the
termination points.

Another interesting point I have run across has something to do with the
termination for the speaking length being  on a "node" relative to the total
length. Havent quite figured out what that is about yet, but I will look into it
when I get my own experiment up and running.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.