compression waves

Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:49:52 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 22, 2001 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: compression waves

> Well... because everywhere I run into this experiment the results are the
same.
> The longitudinal frequency is determined by the speaking length, and the
> frequencies propagate unhindered through the whole length of the medium. I
have
> found this example in about 15 different university physics websites so
far.

Then what, pray tell, constitutes the 'speaking length?' From what you've
written above it would seem that you're saying that the entire length of the
widget constitutes the speaking length of the longitudinal since the
'frequencies' are propagating unhindered through the whole length of the
thing.

Del