Helmholtz and Steinway

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:30:09 +0000

At 8:06 AM -0600 11/22/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

[RO]
>  >I sacrifice percentage of breaking
>>strain to achieve uniformity of the other two factors. Carefully
>>done, it is possible to limit the % deviation increase, when going
>>from trichord plains to bichord covers, to less than 15 % for
>>modifying production scales, and around 11% for my own instrument.
>>Ron N I think works along similar lines?
>[RN]
>Similar. While I don't work to a specific target percentage, I do keep an
>eye on break% deviations across transitions. It's the last thing on the
>consideration list, but it is considered.

This would all be a lot easier to grasp if one of you would make a
sample scale available, not that the principles are hard to grasp but
that an actual string scale would make it clear how you apply them in
a certain case.  If these are not trade secrets, I for one would love
to have a spreadsheet doc of one of your scales.

JD