Out of tune on purpose?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:28:27 EST

In a message dated 11/22/01 8:07:57 PM Central Standard Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net (Kent Swafford) writes:

> I have wondered about this myself, but I don't know that we'll ever have a
> real answer to this question, though my impression is often that none of
> Guaraldi's recordings were done on in-tune pianos. The Peanuts recordings
> were done 35 ago, and I have heard Guaraldi described as "penniless," which
> makes me think he simply may not have had the clout necessary to record on
> well-prepped pianos.
>
> Kent Swafford
>

> On 11/22/01 8:34 AM, "Brian Doepke" <doepke@fwi.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if Vince Guaraldi kept certain notes out of tune
> > intentionally?  I am listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas cd and some
> > notes are way out of tune.  Was this done on purpose or an oversight?
> >
> > Brian Doepke

This has been talked about before.  Many of the 1960's best Jazz recordings
have pianos which are out of tune by today's standards.  I have some reissues
on CD's which I used to really love but find painful to listen to today.
Back then, I didn't know the difference.

I asked a local Jazz musician and composer who has been a long time customer
about this.  He said they knew about it but just didn't care.  The recording
industry would never allow this today.

I think it's an example of how standards have risen substantially since that
time.  Ever heard the phrase, "Close enough for Jazz" (or Rock&Roll)?  I'll
bet that back then, people really didn't think it was that important or
considered it far too costly to have the piano freshly tuned for a recording.
 Today, it's a regular part of any contract.

Incidentally, for those who think Jazz could only be played in ET, the
pianist really liked the way "Linus & Lucy" sounded in the EBVT when I
presented it at a Chicago Chapter meeting.  There is a high incidence of pure
or nearly pure 5ths in the EBVT among the flat keys.  He picked up on the
crisp clarity that the temperament offered to that particular piece of music.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin