A Great Clamp

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:36:17 -0800

At 09:09 AM 11/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > Am I like really slick, or does everyone else use this device
> > for clamping and maybe a couple dozen other innovative uses?
>
>You are slick.  More to the point, you are creative.  Having a problem
>and finding a solution with what you have at hand is the mark of a good
>craftsman and a thoughtful person.  This skill is acquired, not taught.
>
>Well done.
>
>                 Newton

I agree with Newton.

That said, I've started using the white glue (or Titebond) - CA glue trick
to glue split keys when the joint is long and easy to assemble right.

I spread white glue, fairly copiously, on one piece of key along all
the split area, and then put quite a few drops of CA glue as quickly as
I can on the other piece. Then I assemble the key as well as I can,
paying attention to angles and getting edges flush, and also paying
attention to the flatness of the bottom face. I wipe off the squeeze
out, and set it aside for a few minutes.

So far this has worked well. No sign of any of them splitting again,
and so far they have fit okay.

Susan