very clever repairs

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:15:31 -0500

Thank you Terry and Susan.  It's little tips like these that make it worth
navigating the forests and swamps of Pianotech through the years!  Since I
can't reply to the digest, bravo to:

Terry Farrell- using a pinblock support jack as a  clamp

Susan Kline - using PVC or white glue on one side of the joint, and CA on
the other - no clamp

Anyone have any ideas on storing glue in your car and keeping it from
freezing during the winter?

Carol Beigel

That said, I've started using the white glue (or Titebond) - CA glue trick
to glue split keys when the joint is long and easy to assemble right.

I spread white glue, fairly copiously, on one piece of key along all
the split area, and then put quite a few drops of CA glue as quickly as
I can on the other piece. Then I assemble the key as well as I can,
paying attention to angles and getting edges flush, and also paying
attention to the flatness of the bottom face. I wipe off the squeeze
out, and set it aside for a few minutes.

So far this has worked well. No sign of any of them splitting again,
and so far they have fit okay.

Susan