Grand Regulation Compromises

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:38:27 -0500

Thanks Kjell.  10mm equals about 0.394 inches. Believe me, I agree that the
english system of measurements is quite a bit goofy. I was a scientist in a
previous life and fully appreciate the simplicity and utility of the metric
system. I also agree that regulation in the piano is best - but when you are
starting out with a train wreck that needs repairs, etc., I like to do it in
the shop.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kjell Sverre Fardal" <ksfardal@online.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 5:52 PM
Subject: SV: Grand Regulation Compromises

Hi, Terry!

I have been waiting for someone to comment "bench-regualtion", but it seems
I have to do it ...;)

First of all: I prefer to regulate the grand-action in the piano. This is
the only way I feel I can do the best job. Two reasons for that: a) the
keyframe is (in some cases...)fitted to the keybed, and not to my
work-bench, and b) I can make decissions on how to regulate by making
samples, and then play the piano to see how it worked out.

If I have to do a "low-budget-job" (is this the case here?), I prefer to
make samples in all sections (filing test-hammers, then doing all regulating
and testing) before I take the action to my workshop and finish the work
there.

All these inch-measurements doesn`t tell me very much (I prefer mm !), but
as others have said, I would give key-dip a certain priority (max. 10 mm on
a small grand), and then make the compromises with blow-distance AND (if
nescessary) let-off, to get the aftertouch you want.

My motto: "The best action-work is done in bed"    (keybed  :-)

Just some thoughts from another Norwegian...

Kjell Sverre Fardal, NPTF
ksfardal@online.no