"D" new hall/new st.hammers..hmmm.

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:38:46 -0400 (EDT)

Steinway D.. new hall...new Steinway hammers,
Piano is 8years old.

A440-----downweight 48 upweight 28
It feels heavy.
I only took a few readings. There is quite
a bit a variation on upweight from hammer to hammer.

Top end has a tone I usually associate with heavy
hammers....TAAA....doesn't sing.

     I have not worked with Steinway hammers,
but understand they need lots of juice in stages.
I have taken a Steinway convention class on voicing
the Steinway hammer, and have ratios for mixtures
at each stage, but not yet done this on Steinway
hammers myself. I have been spoiled, and dependent
on Abels that don't require much work.

   This piano was purchased out of town, so I'm not
sure precisely what has been done so far to the
hammers.

   There is not much of a "bullet" shape on the
hammers. My gut tells be to go for it and start
juicing the top end. But first I have to tweak a few
things and see what I can get. Probably should bring
in the local arts center tech. and consult.

  Does this sound typical for a new set of
Steinway hammers. Would you advise I let them break
them in for a few weeks while I fix other things,
(no drop here and there, little bit excessive blow
distance...bullet shape top end hammers...so on)
String needs to be leveled.... new sting.
Bass and mid sounds great.

Just fishing the pool of experience.

                           Dave Renaud
                           RPT