interval names

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:40:25 -0400

At 10:35 AM -0700 10/1/01, Susan Kline wrote:
>We're not talking about the difference between German and Italian sixth chords
>here -- this is simple spelling. Why not learn it?
>Susan Kline

Ah......Susan, I'd settle with correctly spelled English around here.
(Or maybe even a set of minimal standards for quote attribution,
which is nowadays on the slap-dash side.)

IMHO, those of us who do know music theory and notation (or can
learn) will make a contribution to the general musicianship if we use
(and reinforce) the the language of musicians. Honoring this language
will also remind us of their importance in our business. Provincial
dialects are good for the shop (heck, you can even even make up
technical terms, like "magic line"). But let's tell the public that
if we ourselves aren't musicians, we certainly are hired by them.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"All God's Children got Rhythm"
     ...........Ivy Anderson in "A Day at the Races"