String Winding, WAS: Unwrapped ends of bass strings

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:27:42 -0400

At 12:45 AM +0100 10/2/01, John Delacour wrote:
>Exact marking requires no gift, just proper care and attention to
>detail.  It is a separate process from >the winding, which certainly
>requires the same, plus experience and the "knack", which is gained
>by >constant keeping of oneself up to the mark.  The proper
>tightness of the copper cover is measurable by >the reduction in
>diameter occasioned by the degree of tension applied to the cover.
>A new string-maker >needs to be monitored very closely. Core x +
>cover y should give o/d z.  If he/she is getting a smaller >o/d,
>then the pull is too much and too great a diameter means the winding
>is too loosely applied.  Even >an experienced operative can for one
>reason or another veer off the ideal, though not significantly,
>and >needs to make regular spot checks of the evenness and tightness
>of his covers. An experience operative will not vary during the
>course of making a set or even during the course of a day, but
>a >general error can creep in over a period, rarely enough to affect
>quality.  Illness or weakness due to age >can, of course, deprive
>the stringmaker of the necessary strength to apply correct tension
>manually.  >Semi-automatic tensioning is possible and can be very
>exact, but there is no advantage if skilled >operatives are
>available.

Thank you for that wonderful guided tour. I've always been curious
about that core wires tension during the winding. Is that an easy
matter to set quickly and reliably during the string winding? I have
no idea how any string winding could know what the tension of a given
string on his the, once this string is back in the piano and up to
pitch. So there's probably not reason to expect that any wire the
winder might fasten to the lathe would have its tension relative to
eventual tensions in the finished piano. I know why a wire in the
lathe needs some tension. But how critical are small amounts of
tension when loading the core wire into the lathe.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp