interval names

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:41:43 -0700

Susan,

I can't say that you're espousing a popular sentiment, here, but up to a point,
I'm with you. Just as I like to use proper English when I'm speaking to a
customer, I don't forget my music theory just because I'm wearing my technician
hat. If I am educated about something, it makes sense to express that, and if the
customer is similarly educated, then I might enjoy an increased rapport with that
person. In the same way, it doesn't hurt that a technician can also play the
piano, can speak in musical terms and not just technical, is involved in the
local musical community, attends concerts, etc. Now and then there are occasions
when it's nice to be able to discuss musical issues and be able to relate them to
technical ones.

On the other hand, there are some really fine technicians in this field who don't
seem as interested in music as they are in the black box that enables the
audience to perceive what the musician is thinking. If someone has the expertise
to make a soundboard that sings, or tune a piano so beautifully that it brings
tears to my eyes, that person has my admiration and I don't care what enharmonic
faux pas they might make.

If the supply house vernacular for black notes is "sharps", then I can see why
technicians would want to follow suit and I wouldn't have the heart to club
anyone for misspellings.

Tom Cole