blacks???

Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:23:54 -0500

At 21:06 10/01/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Am i missing something here? what the heck does the subject line "blacks"
>refer to?
>
>Terry Peterson
>Precision Piano Service
>Torrance, CA

Originally the line "blacks" was referring to those keys on a piano which
stick up between some others.  I've noticed that, out of every twelve
contiguous keys on "normal" keyboards, five exhibit this
characteristic.  It seems that the manufacturers have provided some sort of
warning to this status by making them a contrasting colo(u)r from the lower
level keys.  As most of those lower keys are white, the most contrast was
to be had by making the raised ones black, though I've seen some older ones
which look closer to brown.

The controversy (?) has been about just how to refer to them, and when.  I
suspect that they will continue to be called sharps, at least in print,
because while most typewriter/computer keyboards have a "#" character, it
really is a chore to find a character for "flat". (I'm not awake enough
right now to try...)

Does this help???  ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA  (563)-382-8525

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...