blacks???

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:43:17 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/01 8:33:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu (Conrad Hoffsommer)
 writes:

> most typewriter/computer keyboards have a "#" character, it
> really is a chore to find a character for "flat".

You could use the small letter "b" as I do but italicize it: b.  But I don't
think it comes through that way on everyone's e-mail.  I searched the list of
foreign characters for something that would work but with Microsoft hardware,
there just is none.  The only other alternative I've seen suggested is to
spell out the word but that becomes very cumbersome as in:  "the contiguous
3rds A-flat3(G#3)-C4 and C4-E4".  I'd go to the trouble of using the italics
if I thought it would be worth the effort:  Ab3(G#3)-C4.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin