Off Topic... computer question

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

Please forgive the off topic question.  I've been
wondering about something.

My step kids were bad.  Very bad, in fact, and
internet privileges were suspended a while back.
(They were going places they had no business
going, and talking to people of "questionable
character" to say the least.  Let your
imagination wander, and that's where they were.
Incidentally, they're 14 & 17.)

My wife wants to try a "controlled" internet
connection again.  (I'm mean, and think they
could very well live without it.  But then again,
I can see what they do when they use the computer
at home, I can't when they use someone else's.
That's how I knew before... Don't you love
surveillance programs??)

We had decided that the connection should only be
good while either my wife or myself are home.  We
had decided that there will be no more
downloading of programs, or instant messaging of
any kind.  (We CAN see!)

My question is...

Is there a simple way that the computer will
allow a program (such as dial up networking) to
work at certain set "parent controlled" times
without having to physically go into the programs
and change passwords or some other laborious
task?  (I know there must be a way, but I don't
know what.)

What I had in mind was something like "the
program will allow dial up access between the
hours of 5:00pm and 10:00pm Sunday thru Thursday"
only. (When we could most easily supervise...)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian T.

=====