rim laminations

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:18:18 +0100

At 10:47 17/08/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>I noticed yesterday that a Yamaha C3 has an inner rim alternating
>laminations of maple (?) and mahogany. Does anyone know how long they have
>done this?

It never occurred to me before, but today I have made up a trial inner rim
using laminations of three-ply birch, a wood visually and structurally
quite similar to maple.  If I were shown this without knowing its
composition and without looking extremely closely, I would almost certainly
say the laminations were of birch-or-maple and mahogany or some similar
wood, so much does the end grain of the birch resemble mahogany in
color.  I wonder if this is really the answer to the question after all.

JD