Re; interval names

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:29:13 +0200

Well.... after reading all of these opinions on this thread I am left
feeling somewhat in the air about this one. Actually I agree most with
Susan, that we should learn what intervals are called from a music
theory perspective. While I  also agree that amoung ourselves and for
the greatest part of our endeavours it is by far most convenient to use
the "sharps" description, I dont see that this really is a reason for
not learning the former.

I say this because for the following reasons.

1. It is like really easy.... I mean the amount of effort required to
learn this degree of music theory is fully withing the grasp of your
average 3rd grader.

2. Like it or not, we are tuners... and our proffesion historically has
had more to do with these intervals then not. And isnt it really only in
the relatively narrow ET world that these intervals are wholy
irrelevant.

3. Tho it is not perhaps usual in our work, we can find instances where
to be able to converse somewhat fluently in this language can be a
valuable asset from both a professional and a marketing point of view.

4  In fact one could go so far as to say "we" invented those diverse
intervals.... all those hundreds of years back through music history.
Why then should we be so willing to forget such an easy part of our
heritage ?

All that being said... I fully understand that different folks like
different strokes, and this particular one is not going to be high on
many techs list of priorities... mainly because there is no real need
for it to be.

Still.. I encourage, (as I think Susans post was meant to do)
technicians to develope at least an easy working knowledge of these
things. It cant hurt, and you might be suprised at how it may help or
lead you into some new and interesting facit of our work.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.