Erard Grand Piano

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:08:58 -0400

Clark
I am restoring a 1900 6'4" Erard ( the 2nd one this year) as we speak and I
could add some helpful information about these instruments.
First, the pinblock, plate,and stretcher are inter-connected by means of
many laminated layers of wood, glued over screws holding the essentials
together....make sense?
Basically, if you plan on pulling the plate you will probably have to
destroy the stretcher, at least the was the case in our instrument. Which
means duplicating a stretcher and re-installing, which will take much longer
than you could imagine.
Our instrument had other significant problems as we think it was in a fire
of some sorts because all the veneer was bubbling and pulling off the
cabinet and lid. We had to have the instrument sent to a veneer expert who
did the whole instrument in starburst, book-matched Rosewood, with burled
Elm inlay and borders. Quite striking.
The action which you viewed..does it have the backchecking device within a
window on the shanks?  Believe it or not, these actions, once well
regulated, play extremely nice.
Also notice where the drop (screw) device was. It's hidden with a "t" micro
handle and you adjust manually from underneath the shank.
Key leveling also has to be approached differently. Keyleveling will be done
with the action stack on by carefully lifting the keys over the key center
pins.
Anyhow these are the type of pianos  we bring excitement and curiosity at
every step of the rebuilding.  They are  well made...probably extremely
over-killed in the engineering sense. But overall the experience of working
on an Erard is unique. The touch, warmth of sound,and in your situation, a
cabinet which is breath taking, are the features which has made Erard so
intriguing.

Tom Servinsky.RPT