Unwrapped ends of bass strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 00:50:40 +0100

At 14:11 03/10/01 -0400, Newton Hunt wrote:
> > Your bridge pins are in a continuous (not the usual zig-zag) line.
>
>Hmmm.  That could account for a mm of variation but not the ten to
>twelve we are seeing here.  I have not had a problem with that in the
>past, just recently.  Good thought though and thanks.

To judge from your jpeg, I would say it would account for _precisely_ the
error that I see.  Even a bit of scaled down ascii art in Courier 12 shows
about a 7 mm. error.  The jpeg shows an error slightly more than the
thickness of the agraffe -- 8 mm at most.

     0--------------------0____0-------------¤
          0---------------0____0-------------¤
0--------------------0____0----------------¤
      0---------------0____0----------------¤

     0--------------------0____0-------------¤
          0-------------0____0-------------¤
0--------------------0____0----------------¤
      0-------------0____0----------------¤

By the way, I fitted a new bass set to a Steinway B in the customers house
the other week and came to one string of a pair where I had made the cover
about 7 mm. too short.  The customer was present as I said "Damn, I've made
that one too short!".  Before I had a chance to say "...I'll have to make
another one there", he said, "It's not going to make any difference, is
it?".  "Probably not", I replied; and in fact the error was not noticeable
in the tuning.  Since Steinway pairs are false pairs to start with (i.e.
different lengths), old Theodore had obviously discovered it didn't make a
scrap of difference -- he didn't make many design decisions without a lot
of research and experimentation.  The achievement of the slimmer bass
bridge was more important than the perfect pairing of the bichords.

JD