Numbers for the EBVT:Won't Work

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:56:03 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/01 8:42:53 AM Central Daylight Time, rscott@wwnet.net
(Robert Scott) writes:

> David, I followed Bill's aural EBVT tuning instructions using a software
> simulation called "Temperament Designer" and came up with the
> following offsets for Bill's EBVT:
>
> A     -1.73
> A#    -0.10
> B     -1.15
> C      3.62
> C#    -0.75
> D      0.08
> D#     0.27
> E     -2.59
> F      1.37
> F#    -3.01
> G      2.77
> G#     0.76
>
> -Robert Scott

With all due respect, I tried these figures (admittedly being inexperienced
using the FAC program).  They did not at all produce what I do by ear.  The
results must produce 4 pure 5ths and a number of intervals that beat exactly
the same as each other.  These figures did not in any way produce these
results.  Also, and just as important, using the FAC program will not produce
the unique Tempered Octaves that I use.

To date, there is no electronic calculation that I know of which will produce
the EBVT with Tempered Octaves.  I use the Direct Interval approach with the
SAT.  It is an alternative and entirely different way of using the SAT which
gives me consistently the same results as I desire aurally.

If there are enough people who want my unique system to be taught at the
Convention in Chicago, you'll all have to express your desires to the
Institute Committee.  And fair warning to the IC:  I won't do it in a 45
minute Mini Tech and I also want to find an opportunity for the EBVT to be
heard in a *MUSIC* recital, (not an interval banging session).

As far as Tuneoffs go, I would offer my system against Ed Foote's any day of
the year.  He doesn't do what I do and I certainly don't do what he does.
Mine produces easily discernible and superior results.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin