String rollers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:29:18 -0400

Chipping, chipping, chipping! What is that?

John wrote:
> I have always found simply pulling
> up a certain amount over pitch, almost always using the action (no
chipping

Just what the heck is chipping? Rough tuning while plucking? Is there
something inherently different about bringing a freshly strung piano up to
pitch and in rough tune than doing a several-step pitch-raise? What is the
difference between chipping a piano up to pitch and raising the pitch of an
old upright that is 5 whole steps below standard pitch????

Terry Farrell