Return of the curse

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 19:37:12 -0500

I knew it. As soon as someone mentioned Brambach in a thread a few days
ago, I knew it would happen.

I tuned one of the little instrumentoids today on my second stop after
being greeted by a dripping wet Irish Setter who was SO happy I came to see
him at my first. A local shop had bought the Brambach from an estate about
ten years ago, refinished it, lowered the plate over the flat soundboard to
simulate positive bearing, replaced the strings, tuning pins, and
dampers... and sold it to Mr X (no relation to Ms Z!, despite relative
alphabetical proximity). Mr X then proudly (he got a terrific bargain at
only $3000)  presented it to Mrs X, who was moderately horrified, and has
never been overly enamored of the sub-dulcet tones it has consistently
produced ever since. Tiring at last of the sellers' annual efforts at
improving the sound by tuning and mystic gesticulation, she called me on a
recommendation in hopes that I could do better so her daughter could take
voice lessons at the piano without hurting herself. Alas. The child is
doomed, though the piano is at least on pitch now. Mrs X is now in stage
one replacement shopping mode, and I am standing by to receive the expected
calls through the process. Bummer.

The piano was interesting though, since it had been a while since I had
seen one. Agraffes in the bass only, and a tenor bridge that actually
stayed within the rim perimeter. Overall length of 5 feet. The action was
quite reasonably functional, especially considering that everything in it
was original and worn to a nub. Underneath, laminated rims, and three
beams. The beams surprised me. Nine ribs, big suckers, wider than tall, and
a little over 60° to the belly, while the panel grain was the more standard
unimaginative 45°. It would be interesting to see what I could end up with
if she threw enough money at me to give it the Full Monte. I know the
result would be singularly un-Brambach like, but I can't say that the
difference would be worth the money, so she's looking.

Then there's the afternoon. Half an hour after the piano was to be set up
in a local hotel and ready for my tuning it, was still standing on the
music store's floor awaiting the movers - whom nobody could locate. I
categorically refused to come back in the evening thunderstorm and tune it
later, so we'll try again tomorrow morning. Having learned my lesson the
last seventy three times this has happened, I left a morning slot open. The
movers will get the bill for a wasted service call. Aaaarrrrggggggghhhhh!
Gnash gnash.

Another day in the trenches.

Ron N