String rollers

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 21:50:08 +1000

You'll,

In the mid seventies Bösendorfer had a factory policy of not 'rubbing
down' the strings with a wheel, since they believed at the time that
the practice could introduce falseness. Like Ron N., I have always
been against the wheel for similar reasons.

Several have mentioned the wisdom of straightening the lay of all
wire segments and tightening the beckett (we use a punch to tighten
the becketts). However, the friction at the string offset over the
bridge is such that without some deflection (rubbing down) of the
speaking length, there will remain a lower tension in the back scale
segment which will cause the bridge to be slightly pulled forward, to
the detriment of tone quality and in particular tuning stability. I
have noticed a slight improvement in the tone of freshly strung
pianos after rubbing down the speaking length to pull the string over
from the back scale. And I have no doubt that the uneven tensions
across the various string segments is a significant factor in the
typical poor tuning stability of freshly strung pianos. Therefore, we
continue to 'rub down' the speaking length (moderately) with a maple
hammer shank (Brian Trout suggested this approach also - hello there
Brian). The use of a hammer shank ensures that the technician is
unlikely to apply too much force when deflecting the speaking length.
I agree with Ron N. that heavy rubbing with a wheel is a very
effective method of damaging bridge terminations. If the maple shank
approach is applied judiciously, the integrity of string terminations
will be preserved.

Furthermore, the pounding dowel with inserted hammer is another
device which I believe should join the stretching wheel on its way to
the refuse pile. I see no justification in pounding the hell out of a
nicely regulated action as a means of stabilising a subsequent
tuning. After all the pounding is, similar to rubbing down with a
shank, merely pulling up the tension of the back scale. A light 'rub
down' with a maple hammer shank on the speaking length will achieve
an identical result without flattening the rollers at the same time.
I strongly recommend that you try this procedure as a substitute for
pounding. I forbid any of my technicians to use a pounder.

The sound board crown will gradually recede as compression set
develops. Therefore, as a piano is tuned over time, the back scale
tension will fall in response to the gradual sinking of the board
unless the speaking length is pounded or rubbed down. I believe that
this is the primary reason for unstable tunings when the 'big hitter'
comes to town. If the speaking lengths are 'rubbed down' prior to
tuning for the 'big hitter', it will surprise you how well the tuning
will stand under the strain. I believe therefore, that the speaking
lengths should always be rubbed down lightly before tuning for 'big
hitters' (the covered strings can be deflected using a felt covered
narrow wooden block, just behind the dampers). The concert may not be
particularly pleasant to listen to as the piano cries out for help,
but at least it will stay in tune.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos