naphtha + mineral oil

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:05:31 -0400

Dale,
Absolutely right.  My experience with using this on many pianos is that the
verdigris problem is temporarily lessened but returns after shortly, even
with multiple applications.  I prefer to replace parts when this problem
occurs and use the silicone/naphtha for what it's meant to address.

Allan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
BEATRIX ERWIN
  Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 11:23 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: naphtha + mineral oil

  List
    I still say that  mineral oil or silicone won't cure verdigris. I've
tried the silicone and toluene as Yamaha directs and it works in some
sluggish flange cases  but is also only a temporary fix for verdigris.  The
mineral oil I've not tried. How bout some feedback from you all with
extensive experience with it. Be specific.
    I'm still waiting for the feedback from Dan Reeds post last week

  Best- Dale Erwin