A Business Dilemma

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:51:39 EDT

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM writes:

> 1) If techicians cannot neutrally evaluate pianos for clients in a store
> setting, then there is a problem. (snip)  Should we now become wary of
> being honest?
> How should we need to posture ourselves?

The problem is not yours The problem is the dealer's. In the past you have
faithfully recommended customers to buy a piano from Fandrich. But now,
because of the latest events, you are no longer willing to do that. Instead,
I presume, you recommend another store. It will be Fandrich that will loose
business, not you. You are under no obligation to Fandrich. You are free to
recommend any store. If a customer asks you to evaluate one of their pianos,
ask the customer to call another tuner. If the customer asks why, tell them
because of personal reason you no longer want to recommned Fandrich, and
leave it that. That is as honest as you can get. It will be up to the
customer to decide whether to buy a piano from them, or not.

> 2) If our chapter arranges to have a chapter meeting at Fandrich (or any
> dealer), and Ed Richards (or any dealer) specifically excludes one member
> of
> the chapter from coming into the store, what position does this put the
> chapter in?

Unless a store employee physically bars you from entering the store, you are
free to attend a chapter meeting. It will be chapter's decision whether or
not to continue having meetings at that store. Again, if the actions are such
that the chapter decides not to have meetings at that store, it will be the
store's loss, not the chapter's, nor the individual technician's.

The bottom line in this situation us that the store is hurting themselves
more than they are hurting you. Yes, you feel hurt, disappointed, and perhaps
even mad, that the store has taken this stance for no apparent reason. But
for whatever reason, the relationship between you and Fandrich is forever
changed. It is your decision to accept that, or not.

Wim