A Business Dilemma

Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:43:12 -0400

List -

I could not agree more with David Love's take on our role as consultants
for perspective buyers.  It is clear where our allegiances must lie.  It
is amazing to me that dealers wouldn't do everything possible to nurture
good relationships with technicians, even when a tech has found a piano
unsuitable for a client, and it means the loss of a sale.  I just came
back from appraising an old Mehlin and Sons grand that had been "gone
over" and was so far out of regulation as to be almost unplayable.  When
I pointed this out to the salesman his response was:  "it's probably just
the difference in the way you like to regulate".

Yeah, right.....

Another parallel concern would be when dealers offer a percentage of a
sale to technicians for bringing in clients who subsequently purchase a
piano there.  I have had this offer made to me several times and I find
it quite unscrupulous.  Whose interests are being met in a sales
situation like that - the dealer's?  the client's?  or your own pocket?
That is murky water, and I prefer my water clear...

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com