Weird Frontweights

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 20:18:28 +0200

Hi list... got done with that Seiler grand here a few days ago and
started going through all the origional numbers I taken down and the
more I looked at them the more I started scratching my head.....
wondering what the fellow who put this action together coulda been
thinking about.

To begin with... this was like a really heavy hammered instrument with
SW's nearly off Stanwoods charts. Frontweights were of course also very
heavy. But what struck me was the uneveness.... I mean there was
absolutely no hint of any method to the madness. I had neighboring
Frontweight variations of 15 grams all over the place. The only hint of
some pattern was that a lot of the black keys were heavier then the
whites... but even this had plenty of exceptions. Unexpected rises in FW
around key 55... and in the Bass... where there were these heavy whippen
assist springs... again... all over the place frontweights ranging from
36 grams to 16....

It all makes you wonder just what on earth kind of priorities led to
this mix match mess of weight distribution. One has to suppose it isnt
sooooo haphazzard at a reasonable quality factory that they simply
splatt the hammers on there and randomize how much counter balance there
is.

I will post the FW numbers tommorrow for anyone interested.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.