Weird Frontweights

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:20:05 EDT

Greetings,
   I see the posting:
<<someone.... Ed Foote I think said
>something about pattern leading sometimes results in such variations.  I
have a
>hard time thinking that this is acceptable.

    Hmm,  I don't know that I said that, or meant to.  Pattern leading should
do the job, if everything else is just perfect. However, nothing is perfect.
It has been mentioned that if the SW and FW's are aligned along even
curves,(something I do as a preliminary step when setting up an action), then
all inconsistancy is due to friction and geometry differences.  I agree with
this.
     However, I think the original post mentioned whippen assist springs in
the mix, so all bets are off with that particular action.  I just completed a
Bosendorfer action that had had the springs cut off. There were wild
variations in the FW, and I think that the factory worker that leaded those
keys was doing it with the springs engaged!  I set the action up to give me
12 grams of DW more than I wanted, with an even curve in the FW and SW, and
then added the springs.  The variations( either friction of geometry, but
neither was very much) inherent in this action were then absorbed by the
springs, effectively disappearing.

How about breaking this thing down a little farther?
    The down weight is far more important than the inertial influence of lead
in pianissimo playing (slow key velocity), while at FFF the inertia is more
important.  For the even-ness  to be optimum, FW's and SW's MUST progress
evenly, and the "ceilings" must be observed.
   It is also effective to plot a line of FW's by trial,  then bring the SW's
onto  a smooth curve that splits the DW inconsistacy above and below the
perfect DW.  As soon as this is done, removal of up to 1 gram of SW from the
"heavy" DW's, and removal of up to 2 gram  from the FW of the "light" ones
can bring an action into consistancy that is beyond the appreciation of
virtually any pianist you can find.
   The last two tools I use on a regulation like this are a small belt sander
for the hammers and a 3/8" drill bit for the key leads.
Regards,
Ed Foote