Weird Frontweights

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 03:01:04 -0400

At 10:18 PM -0500 10/8/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>  Thus, DW as an action
>>resistance measurement (DW) is not very useful in showing were our
>>work lies, as neither it nor its companion UW are the slightest bit
>>interested in revealing whether we have a friction or a mass problem.
>
>Not mass, surely, but they are exactly how friction is indicated, aren't they?

Not individually, but in combination. DW by itself doesn't tell us,
although we know friction to be contained within. Same thing for UW.
Their spread is the indicator, as you correctly point out.

>So how do you determine friction if not with static UW/DW comparisons?
>Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I'm a little
>out of touch here under my (hot, cold, or wet) rock in South Central Kansas

The same way you do, with static UW/DW comparisons.

At 10:18 PM -0500 10/8/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>Ok, so how do you differentiate between a friction and a mass problem?

It's a friction problem if (DW-UW)/2 is out of bounds (guidelines of
your choice). It's a mass problem if (DW+UW)/2 is out of bounds
(again, your favorite guidelines). (DW+UW)/2 is the formula for BW.
Once we begin working with BW, friction has been stripped out of our
measurements. Not that friction isn't there to be dealt with.
However, now measuring with BW, we no longer have the muddy mix of
friction and mass which we had to put up with DW and UW. Friction is
a separate matter from mass, and shouldn't be present to confuse our
exploration how mass and leverage play out in this action.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                 below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
     ...........Monty Python's "Life of Brian"