more CC bridges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:30:35 -0500

I spent WAY too much time today on an old Yamaha spinet getting center pins
back in flanges or re pinning so the action would sort of work (don't have
a clue what the key front weights are though), when I stopped to stretch
and got a look at the treble bridge. It's just like that Baldwin bridge
with the cap being half the bridge height with the grain at a high angle to
that of the root. Another compression crowned bridge. Interesting tidbits
in unexpected places.

Another memorable little adrenalin generator from this same piano. As I
lifted the action out to be able to get to the flanges, I was just about to
set it on the bench when it dropped the last six inches, leaving me with
the carefully chosen secure handle/hoist point in my hand. The hammer rail
came off! I'm just glad it waited until it was almost down on the bench, so
nothing was broken (except the silence). It could have happened at the
height of it's trajectory as I lifted it out. At least this way, the
resultant noise didn't involve high amplitude cursing.

That's what sleeping on the job gets me. I got lucky.

Ron N