Trivia , Who had Aluminum plates?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:50:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: Trivia , Who had Aluminum plates?

> . Winter's Aluminum plate.
>
> I tuned a Cable (Nelson ?) console that I think had an aluminum plate.
>  It was silver colored and had Alcoa stamped on it.   I forgot to get the
> serial number and didn't think to try my magnetic picker upper on it.
> Does anyone know of this company used aluminum plates?  ---ric

    ric,
     If it said Alcoa it was . I've seen them mostly on  Winter's and almost
all were built in 1947-8. Seems to have been a brief experiment. The best
part about these things is how light they are. Like lifting a bureau!
Probably  has nothing to do with the plate, but the side -back glue joint
seems to fail on the Winters.
    Tom Driscoll