Felt Cutting Secrets

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:31:17 -0400

Real primitive, but it works if you have a steady hand ...

Cut a notch into the felt where you want to cut the full length.

Bury the blade of a straight-edge razorblade into the edge of a piece of
scrap wood, then clamp the wood to a sturdy table or bench.

Feed the felt at the blade and pull straight.  For greater accuracy, or if
the sides of the original piece are not parallel, you could add a fence to
the jig.

         (felt strip)  __
   xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xx\xxx <--pull from here
///////////////////////////\    \
    (scrap wood)    \__\
                          (blade)

(Felt should be resting on scrap wood.)

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 9:01 AM
Subject: Felt Cutting Secrets

Hi again gang. I bought one of the rotary felt cutting tools that Pianotek
sells, along with a cutting mat. Tool really works great (WAY, way, way,
way, way better than scissors) .................. if you can hold the felt
real tight to the mat. Is there some secret to clamping or whatever the felt
to the mat so that you can hold it real firmly in position to get the cut
you desire? I find this to be a bit of trouble especially when cutting 3/8"
long strips from a 1" wide strip of felt or cloth. Thanks.

Terry Farrell