Trivia

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 02:25:35 EDT

Hi, Tom,

I differ.  The presence of the sostenuto pedal is a pianistic tool which
advanced pianists assume is there, and is at their disposal.  Learning
pianists have opportunity to discover it.  It is fully functional (that is,
it can be properly manipulated while playing).  Even the 19th century
Steinway verticals I have serviced (head hitting hard against wall) were
functional.

Mute rails don't need to be on a pedal, and are not manipulated when played.
They are on a pedal because having a third pedal makes marketing sense, and
the execution works mechanically.  An argument could be made against the
pedal connection, since it is not really a functional thing;  either people
are sleeping or not, and the entire practice session is with the thing, or
not.

The Steinway grand sostenuto has more capacity for adjustment with the action
in the piano than other systems I know of.

The modern vertical sostenuto execution (Yamaha, Steinway) is not complex,
and avoids the pitfalls of the old Steinways.  Some older systems were pretty
simple, too.

Sorry I haven't come up with my own "dumb idea" suggestions for you to shoot
down yet....

Bill Shull

In a message dated 10/11/01 10:38:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,