piano wire

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:20:26 -0400

Carl,

I haven't restrung anything yet, so I am just passing on a story and a hunch
FWIW.

1.  At a chapter meeting a well-respected piano remanufacturer said, "Listen to
this."  He took a wire cutters and cut a tiny piece of music wire off a piece of
new wire.  Then he said, "Now listen to this."  He cut a tiny piece off a
different piece, and the sound of that cut was decidedly more "musical" than the
first.  The wire was also shinier, which may or may not be related.  Then he
said, "We sent the first back.  We couldn't use it."

2.  It seems to me that using the brittle wire, as you call it, is risky at
best.  I've tuned pianos where it seems the strings of a particular size are
prone to break.  Could it that particular wire was brittle?  Probably.  Using
brittle wire is likely to cause either you or someone else grief in the future.
My guess is that manufacturers of low quality pianos would use the wire anyway.

Regards, Clyde