piano wire

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:47:48 -0400

At 08:16 PM 10/11/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>About 15 yrs ago I got about 100 lbs. of piano wire from an estate along
>with a lot of other stuff. There were 5 lb rolls of most sizes.  I've been
>using this stuff all these years.  I really like working with 5 lb rolls.  I
>made dispensers out of 1/8 inch peg board and cut a hole in the top to pull
>the wire out.  I have a 5 lb roll of 11 1/2 thru 22.
>
>A couple of problems:  Two or three are brittle.  I can't put a bass string
>type loop without the wire fracturing.  I always have to find a small roll
>for that size.  Not much of a problem except when an old piano had those
>loops for every string.  Probably not uniformly annealed.  Probably
>different brands as well.  Also, a few rolls don't match the others in color
>and sheen.  There are a few sizes I'm running low on.
>
>I've considered investing in a 5 lb roll of each size hoping I'll get the
>same color, sheen etc. for appearance sake. I'd like to use only one brand
>and type for everything.
>
>Question: I've heard some say "Brand X is the best" but never could get an
>understandable reason.  Is there much difference in brands or types?  Do
>some sound different?  Is it practical to use only stainless?  And why why
>why?  Thanks for any biased or otherwise opinions.
>
>Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
>Santa Clara, California
>cmpiano@home.com

Some years ago I switched from Roslau tinned to Mapes Gold Series and never
regretted it.
The tone is warmer and the appearance is cleaner.

I still have the Roslau in the canisters and use it for field repairs. I
also have unopened packages
of one pound coils and would be happy to find a home for them.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net