Speaking of hammers...

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Speaking of hammers,...

I've noticed on numerous occasions when looking
at hammers in the supply catalogs that they are
available with several different moldings.  I can
understand that part of it, weight!  Hammers with
maple moldings would definitely be heavier than
ones made with (for instance) mahogony.

But what about the felt??  It is pretty normal to
see them available in 12 lbs., 14 lbs., and 16
lbs. specifications.

Does anybody have an explaination of specifically
what that means in practical terms?  Is it the
weight of the felt put into the press for the
entire set?  Getting real basic here, if I were
looking for a lighter (weight) hammer, would I
want to be getting the 12 lb. set instead of the
16 lb. set?  And vice versa, should I be getting
the 16 lb. set if I'm interested in a heavier
hammer?  I know that techs are getting much
fussier about individual hammer weight these days
and I'm wondering if I could be reducing the
amount of work simply by which set of hammers I
order.

I've never really heard much of an explaination
about this.

Anyone care to enlighten me a bit?  I have a
feeling I'm not the only one who's ever wanted to
know.  :-)

Thanks,

Brian T.

=====