Verdigris V.2

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:09:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/01 5:50:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

> they teach piano maintenance 'appreciation' in Russia
> to the performance majors, and she's a player.
>
> Is that something that is taught here?..I know when I went to college many
> centuries ago, Piano Maintenance wasn't a 'requirement', but it was offered
> (thanks Tom.).

When I interviewed for the job here at UA, I asked about this. The School of
Music does not offer any kind of "taking care of your piano" type course.
Right now there is a budget crisis in Alabama, and the chance of a new course
being offered are pretty slim. But the chairman of the department wants me to
put together something for consideration in a year or two.

I think it is imperative that all piano majors, and even those studying
seriously in the private sector, need to be exposed to a general piano
overview. Certainly not one that delves into repair and regulation, or even
tuning. But piano players should know something beyond that a note plays when
depressed. I am appalled sometimes with the lack of knowledge of some good
piano players.

Wim