Super tight jack flanges

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:09:20 -0700

Arrived at customer's house today expecting a routine tuning. Piano was
60-110 Cents flat, and at least 10 notes would not play due to, what I was
surprised to find, was SUPER tight Jack flanges...NOT hammer butt flanges,
which were basically ok, although i did lube with sislcone/naptha and they
were fine. But that was TOTALY ineffective on the jack flanges as they were
so tight, it took considerable pressure to move them, even by hand! So i did
what I had to do; repinned 'em! Being so close to the Beach, the humidity
reading was over 80%. I recommended a D.C. Dehumidifier, and another tuning
in about 2-3 months. They agreed. So after 5+ hours of pitch raising,
tuining, repinning, a little regulating and lubing hammer butt centers, I
walked away with a sizeable check; but i earned it!

One Question: Isn't it a tad UNusual to see excessively tight jack flanges,
but NOT hammer butt flanges? First time I've ever witnessed this scenario.
I've seen my share of sluggish piano actions, but the primary culprit is
almost ALWAYS a tight butt flange center.

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA