Super tight jack flanges

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:24:18 EDT

pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> Piano was
> 60-110 Cents flat, and at least 10 notes would not play due to, what I was
> surprised to find, was SUPER tight Jack flanges... (snip)

> One Question: Isn't it a tad UNusual to see excessively tight jack flanges,
> but NOT hammer butt flanges? First time I've ever witnessed this scenario.
> I've seen my share of sluggish piano actions, but the primary culprit is
> almost ALWAYS a tight butt flange center.
>
> Terry Peterson

Terry

You don't say if this is an upright or a grand, nor which jacks were tight.
I have found tight jacks on grands but mostly in the upper register. The
reason the hammers might be working, but not the jack, is use. If a piano is
used very little, and if it is used by a player who rarely ventures out of
the middle three octaves, it is possible for a hammer to get used once in a
while, enough to keep it free. The jack is used, of course, and it will
return, eventually, so that the note will play again. It isn't until the
tuner comes along and has to play the note repeatedly, that the sluggish jack
is noticed.

So to answer your question, yes, I have seen it happen, and I hope I
explained the reason.

Wim