keytops (Question)

Jon Page jonpage2001@mediaone.net
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:33:11 -0400

At 09:26 AM 10/15/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>I hear a lot of folks talking about using routing or sawing techniques in some
>way for removal of old key tops / fronts in preperation for renewal.
>I would like to hear a bit about why you all do this instead of using some
>form of heating up the the old keytops so as to "peel" off the old top / front
>material.
>
>thanks
>RicB

The old keytop is removed either with a blade or heating. The Rotary Planer
is to resurface
the keystick for a clean gluing surface and establish original keystick
thickness with the
thicker covering material.  Flush trimming router bits are used to trim the
oversized plastic.

The apparatus mentioned below is Carl's method of removing those stubborn
fronts and
prepping the surface in one operation.
>Carl Meyer wrote:
> > This is what I use for cutting off the lip of the keytop front.
> >> Pass the key over the router bit very slowly.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage2001@mediaone.net