keytops (Question)

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 05:39:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard,

Having been away from the process for a bit, my
memory may be fuzzy...but...

I do remember, even with the application of heat
from an iron, there were more times than I'd have
liked when part of the wood came off with the
keytop.

And, since many people are interested in keeping
the overall height of the key the same, (and also
length, with regard to the keyfront) before and
after recovery,  (sounds like there might be a
support group in there somewhere, huh?
<chuckle>...sorry..., I guess recovering is the
correct word), the whole process of removing the
old material can go right along with the process
of milling out that little bit of wood that needs
to come off in order to preserve the original
dimensions.

As a practical matter, I've seen both extremes.
I've seen keys that it really didn't make much
difference that no one planed down the extra wood
to keep the dimensions.  And I've seen keys that
would have obviously fit into the piano much
better if they had been planed to fit as the
originals did.

Thus, the idea...  make 'em the same size as they
were.  If they fit before, they'll fit after.

My $0.02... if it's even worth that... ;-)

Take care, Ric.

Brian T.

=====
Brian Trout