keytops (Question)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:18:21 -0400

I recently put a new keybed in a Knabe grand. It also had a termite eaten
(weakened) and warped keyframe. When I went to level the keys I had quite a
bit of trouble. That was when I decided to purchase Carl Meyer's key
leveling system. I tried that. It worked quite a bit better, but they were
still not quite level - I could see by eye that some were still off. I was
getting very frustrated and wondering if my keybed was screwed up.

What it turned out to be - those few (actually quite a few) remaining
hard-to-level keys - after taking the keys out and examining them closely -
it was the keytops that were far, far from level. They were wavy. High here,
low there, sloping over here on this one (I could get height variations of
up to 0.025" on an individual keytop, depending on where I put the leveling
stick). I would level with my leveling bar over the keypin position, and
look at the front edge of the keys to see how nice and level they were and
they would be all over the place.

I'm using Carl's key leveling system on an old Decker grand right now
(equipped with a non-chewed or warped action frame) and let me tell you,
those keys are level!

Amazing what flat keytops can do for leveling them!  :-)

Incidentally, Pianotek has the 0.001" center rail punchings now. I had only
used down to 0.003" before. Wow, that thin piece can really fine-tune your
key leveling. And Carl, your stick works great, even down to this accuracy -
very reproducible. When a key is 0.001" low, you can push it up against the
stick, and you don't really even see it move, but you can hear it click
against the metal stick - then you know a 0.001" punching will get you where
you want to be!

Terry Farrell