Duplex

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:20:50 -0700

David,

I have used Dan Franklin's duplex tuning methods on two pianos.  I find the
benefit to be mainly in the clarity and richness of the sound.  It enhances
some of the overtones and reduces some of the harshness, but to some extent
I suppose it might also add to power and sustain.  I think it is mainly an
enhancement rather than a corrective procedure.  If there is a problem with
sustain, I would look elsewhere.

To the extent that the problem might be in the duplex area, I would be more
inclined to suspect the front duplex rather than the back, to look at
bearing problems in either area and other usual suspects.  Is the piano
new?  Old?  Rebuilt?  What is its general condition?  What about the strike
point?  Sometimes a small adjustment there can make a difference.

Paul Larudee