Steinway hammer alignment

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:59:00 -0400

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:26:48 EDT A440A@AOL.COM writes:

> <<I had to use the soft pedal constantly in order to sound
> the majority of the right hand strings for tuning.
>
> What have some of you found to be the best solution for this
> problem? >>
>
> Usually, the action stop felt has compacted.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

Hi Ed and Richard -
Ah!  If only that WAS the problem!  That was what I initially expected to
find, but, no...  The key ends are perfectly aligned with the damper
levers.  Immediately upon removing the action I could clearly see that
the hammers are well left of being centered over the wippens, so much so
that the catchers are just making enough contact to do their job.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com