Steinway hammer alignment

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:19:48 EDT

<< The key ends are perfectly aligned with the damper
levers.  Immediately upon removing the action I could clearly see that
the hammers are well left of being centered over the wippens, so much so
that the catchers are just making enough contact to do their job.>>

  Oh!  Why didn't you say so?  This is simple,  the action finisher,(assuming
it is all original) didn't align the hammers with the action stop in contact
with the keyframe.  He put them all over to the left side.   Somebody later
adjusted the una corda pedal to fit, and the action moved over.....
  Whatever, I think you could sell an action regulation here and get
everything where it needs to go, if the whippens are anywhere near the
capstans.
Good luck,
Ed