Duplex

Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:47:48 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <drose@dlcwest.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 16, 2001 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: Duplex

> Hi,
>
> I would think that sustain and power are two opposite ends of a long
stick.

> If a duplex is "tuned" to particular partials it can only act as a band
> pass filter absorbing that particular frequency (or multiples there of).

An interesting way of looking at it. I may want to use that one day....

The tuned duplex--the aliquot system--will affect power and sustain in an
inverse relationship. When 'properly' tuned it may increase power--at least
it will inhance the illusion of power by increasing the volume of the
affected harmonics immediately following hammer impact--but it will reduce
sustain time.

ddf