spacing the Steinways(was sumpin else)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:04:19 EDT

Mark writes:
<<where would the two pieces of brown paper be placed to move the
hammers to the right without incurring travelling?  I'm having a hard
time picturing that for some reason.  >>

Looking down on the flange from above,  place a short piece of shimming paper
under the right side of the flange.  It will go from the front(near) edge to
the middle, ( I call this "papering the corners"), place another piece under
the left side, it will extend from the middle to the back.  These two
together will "twist" the flange sideways without changing the traveling.
What you are doing is changing the axis of the flange as it relates to the
rail.  Steinway is the only brand that allows this, since their flanges are
fitting on two dimensions with their scalloped shapes.  Papering the corners
is the only permanent way I have found to space them.
     If you only paper the front right corner, the shank will move to the
right, but begin traveling to the left, so papering diagonal corners makes
the spacing change but leaves the traveling alone.
   YOu can also get creative.  If the hammer is traveling to the left, but
still hitting the string correctly, you can paper the front side of the
flange on the left and the shank will space over to the left, but travel to
the right.
  If the hammer is traveling to the left, and is hitting to the left of the
strings, just paper the entire lenght of the left side of the flange and the
hammer will travel to the right,even though the spacing, at rest, is left
alone.
Hope this helps,
Ed Foote