A real Nut

Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:00:37 +0200

"Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:

>     I just have one question, Richard. How was the aftertouch before you
> started? Are you setting the key dip to some pre-conceived idea? I agree,
> 9mm is really shallow, but I would have checked blow distance and aftertouch
> before just going with some pre-printed specs. I doubt that this is the
> cause of the "clacks" though. Probably the underlever stop rail is too high.
> Black keys are notorious for having a deeper dip, and raising the dampers
> higher as a result.

Hmmm... never ran into a grand that could deal with less then 9.5 or so mm dip
without some funny stuff having to be regulated into it... like shallow hammer
to string distance or the like... But in answer to your question... Blow
distance was already on the border at around 45 mm and there was little or no
aftertouch, plus letoff and drop were regulated quite low...as in 5 mm for
letoff... so the dip at less then 9mm wasnt really working so well. I knew all
this ahead of time you see and had just been waiting for the time to start
running through this one. But I had to scratch my head a bit when looking for
this clacking noise... as it sounded and felt like the key was hitting the front
rail somewhere. The front pins were really quite high and I imagine this was a
factory error and they (somebody) just made it work.

>     I wish I could see it. My technique for diagnosing problems, when it
> comes right down to it is this, and it's really simple to remember;  Start
> at the front of the key and move back, following the sequence of events, go
> up through the whippen, through the hammer-shank assembly, to the strike
> point. That sequence at least gives you a system in which you can diagnose
> the problem without leaving out the thing that you refuse to see.

Thats not a bad sequence. Grin... if you remember to check the things you tend
to take for granted are ok. In this case I didnt think at first to even look at
the key pins. Chalk one up to experience.