player piano vacuum motor noise

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:23:50 -0500

My first choice would be to change out the suction box and put in the =
variable speed suction box Player Piano Company sells. If that is not an =
option you might try putting a motor speed control on like that used for =
router speed controls. On one occasion I put the suction box in a nearby =
closet and ran hose to the piano. This wasn't for noise control but for =
space problems but it reduced the noise problem to zero. I had one =
customer who considered putting the suction box in the basement and =
drilling a hole in the floor behind the piano for the hose. You might =
try putting some oil on the motor bearings.

John Dewey
  -----Original Message-----
  From: John Tonyan <tonyanj@hotmail.com>
  To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
  Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:47 AM
  Subject: player piano vacuum motor noise

  The noise from my client's vacuum motor in her Scaffer and Sons player =
piano has increased through the years. The motor is housed in a small =
particle board box and is producing a "hum" that is quite pronounced =
over the sound of the piano. I haven't found any major leaks in the box =
and the rest of the player works fine. How can this be remedied?
  Thanks,
  John=20