more on this temperament thing

Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:39:08 +0200

"David M. Porritt" wrote:

> Ed:
>
> Inspired by your email, this morning I tuned practice room pianos in
> Young's #1, Kirnberger III, and Coleman XI.  I've done this before,
> but I hadn't yet this year.  I think it is important in an academic
> setting to expose the students (and faculty) to these alternatives.
> I'm glad I can do it, and it usually gets a few comments.
>
> Having said all that, I wish I liked the sound better.  62 years of
> listening to ET, and 29 years of evaluating my work and the work of
> others as to how E the ET is, makes these temperaments sound
> somewhere between "a little off" to "really bad."  I know it's
> unfair, but A-flat in a Werkmeister III doesn't sound "alive" to me,
> it just sounds "bad."  As you grew in your knowledge and use of HTs
> did you go through this phase?  I know it's not politically correct
> to say it, but I like ET, and the more E the better!!
>
> _____________________________
> David M. Porritt

Interesting post David. I too have an instrument tuned to a non ET
temperament at the UiB, and for the same reasons you mention.

I am not sure I should find "fault" per se when you say you wish you
liked the sound better, and following comments.  One thing nice about
music is that there are so many ways to appeal to so many ears. The idea
that one type of temperament is inherently more (or less) musical then
any particular other strikes me as, well contrary to the whole idea of
music.  I would imagine, and have to some degree experienced in my own
limited use of HT's,  that one needs to let ones ears become...er..
"acoustemed" to new sounds... perhaps even study the musical contexts a
bit.... but beyond that who says that you "shouldnt" like ET, and the
more E the better as you put it. To each their own as they say eh ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.